3 min read
Whenever you travel, you can either go to all of the tourist places or live like the locals. Don’t get us wrong. See the tourist attractions….there is a reason they are so popular. Everyone loves them, it’s what the area is known for, and it’s fun. When you come to Silver Lake, the essential attractions are:
The Silver Lake Sand Dunes
Mac Woods Dune Rides
Little Sable Point
Lake Michigan Beaches
But, it’s also important to peel off the blinders and enjoy all that the local flavor. It’s more relaxing, less busy, and still just as fun. The key to living like a local is to not have a long “To Do” check list of must see items, but to relax and find places that you will truly enjoy.
The first step to living like a local is to talk to locals. They will have the best tips on where to eat, where to stay and what to see. Hit up your locals at coffee shops and bars as they have the best information and are willing to take the time to share it with you. Secondly, think about what you like, and seek it out. Enjoy history? Search out historical districts in your vacation spot. Lastly, don’t be afraid to try something new. Explore and get lost in your surroundings; you may be surprised at what you find.
If you visit the Silver Lake Area, your local living must-do’s are as follows:
- Lunch at Country Dairy
- Huge wine and beer selection at Hansen Foods
- Buy some fresh baked bread at Morat’s Bakery
- Enjoy some family golf at Golden Sands Golf Course
- Eat some fresh fish at Bortell’s
- Taste some local wine at Fox Barn Winery
- Take your bikes on the Hart/Montague Rail Trail
- Pick up some fresh Mexican food at La Probadita
- Buy a souvenir sweatshirt at Parkside Store
- Craft beer at Big Hart Brewery
- Mac Wood Dune Scooter Ride
- Silver Lake Buggy Rental
- Parrot’s Jeep Tour
Whatever you do, fully enjoy your vacation doing the things that you want to do and not have to do. You want to remember that feeling you had looking at a sunset over Lake Michigan, and not be left feeling like you need a vacation from your vacation. Do what the locals do and relax and enjoy!